What is DEFENDER-Europe 21:
DEFENDER-Europe is an annual large-scale U.S. Army-led, multinational, joint exercise designed to build readiness and interoperability between U.S., NATO and partner militaries. This year’s exercise:
- Focuses on building operational readiness and interoperability with a greater number of NATO allies and partners over a wider area of operations
- Is defensive in nature and focused on responding to crisis if necessary
- Demonstrates that the U.S. commitment to NATO is iron clad
- Integrates approximately 28,000 multinational forces from 26 nations to conduct nearly simultaneous operations across more than 30 training areas in 12 countries.
- Includes strict COVID prevention and mitigation measures, such as pre-deployment COVID testing and quarantining.
- Has significant involvement of the U.S. Air Force and U.S. Navy.
- Utilizes key ground and maritime routes bridging Europe, Asia and Africa
- Exercises new high-end capabilities such the new U.S. Army Security Force Assistance Brigades, air and missile defense assets and the recently reactivated V Corps
- Demonstrates our ability to serve as a strategic security partner in the western Balkans and Black Sea regions while sustaining our abilities in northern Europe, the Caucasus, Ukraine and Africa.
All news, photos and videos from DEFENDER-Europe are posted on DVIDS. All products found on DVIDS are public domain and can be used by media outlets. You can search without an account, to download you'll need to create a free account.
Click here for the DEFENDER-Europe 21 Public Announcement